Friday, September 28, 2007

Swazi Thoughts - October, 2006

As we prepare to return to Swaziland, the memories of previous mission trips come flooding back and we anxiously look forward to another opportunity to Live in Love in a country that so badly needs our love and compassion. I thought I'd share a journal entry I wrote just weeks after we returned from Africa last October. I hope that in sharing it, you can get a better idea of what my personal motivation and passion are for this vast mission field.

"It’s now been two weeks since our medical mission team left Swaziland Africa, a Kingdom smaller than the state of New Jersey, embedded in the northeast quadrant of southern Africa. Upon returning home from any mission trip, I am always forced to succumb to the routine of my ‘normal’ life, leaving behind the sights and sounds of people less fortunate than us. Incredibly, after two weeks, my mind is still racing with thoughts of the amazing people I met, the miracles that were accomplished and the lives that were affected.

As I reflect on our trip, I am continually astounded by the compassion of the Children’s Cup missionaries. A team of 7 Americans, they minister daily to the basic human needs of abandoned, orphaned and vulnerable children. Never before have I witnessed such commitment to a cause that is so worthwhile. These missionaries don’t give lip service to their plan of action; they give their hearts, their sweat and their tears!

During our first prayer gathering on Monday morning, one of the missionaries asked us a thought-provoking question: “Why do we do what we do?” He then went on to say, “If lives don’t change because of what we’re doing, life is pointless.” This really made me think. Not just about our mission trip and why we were there in Swaziland but about life in general. How many of us can say that we are changing lives by doing what we do? Are we living a personal life that exemplifies God’s love? Have we followed God’s calling in our professional lives? Do we find time to donate our energy to a worthy cause in His name? Are we changing lives? The good news is, as long as we have life to live, we can make changes and change lives!

When asked about my trip to Africa, I’m still speechless. It’s hard to sum up our trip in a few words. I guess in one sentence I can say that my heart was touched and I’m anxious to return! The children of Africa need our help and Children’s Cup needs our support. It’s easy to become focused and overwhelmed by the amount of need. I choose to stay focused on the nearly 1,800 people we saw in Clinics and in knowing that we met some of their needs. I focus on the thousands of children that the Cup Missionaries feed each day through the Care Points. And finally, I focus on the ongoing ministry that Ben, Suzie, Daran, Teresa, Charles, Kristen, Patrick and all those on their Swazi Team are accomplishing one child at a time. Thanks to them, these children are no longer forgotten."
- Originally written October 2006 by Syndy

No comments: